Today I’m for two weeks of teaching. The first week will be in Otavalo, Ecuador; the second week will be in Gotera, El Salvador.
In Otavalo, we will be doing the fourth module of our curriculum. The spiritual discipline will be Scripture Memorization and Meditation. The academic component will be Survey of Church History. I have the privilege of teaching alongside Pastor Ed Fleming from Oakwood Baptist. This is the site that we (Oakwood Baptist) have adopted as a partnership (with Reaching & Teaching) to provide teachers for all nine modules.
In addition to teaching the curriculum to pastors and leaders during the mornings and early afternoons, we will be doing an overview of the book of Ephesians during the evenings with the folks from Iglesia Bautista Canaan in Otavalo. This will be my fifth visit to the church there; these are sweet people, a number of whom have become good friends.
Then, after leaving Otavalo, I will be heading to Gotera, El Salvador, where I will be joining Jason Wright (fellow Reaching & Teaching staff member). This site does have prospective church partners; however, these partners are not able to start providing teachers until later in the year. It was important to get this site up and running, so Jason and I will be going to teach the first module (Bible Intake and Old Testament Survey).
- As usual, please pray for a effective time of ministry with the pastors and leaders at both locations.
- Pray for the logistics of our travel. (I know I always mention this. After the trip to Macas a couple weeks ago, it really is in the forefront of my mind.)
- Pray for our interpreter, Christian Romero Garcia. This is a young man who lives in Quito. He comes recommended by Dr. Sills
- Pray for those who will be attending the training. Specifically pray that they would remain hungry for the teaching throughout the week – at both locations. By the fourth module (Otavalo), it is possible to have the training become routine. Please pray that doesn’t happen. In Gotera, we will be teaching from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. These will be very long days for all of us, especially with daytime highs being 95 – 100.
- Once again, please pray for my family while I am away. Kathy, Josh, and Amanda (and Chip, our dog) will be traveling to Florida on Sunday to visit with Kathy’s parents. They will return home after a one-week visit. Glenn, as part of his work with Generation Joshua, will be traveling to a homeschool conference in Mississippi next weekend.
Thank you again for your partnership in this ministry!
May grace and peace be with you.
My support has risen to approximately 70% of the needed amount. Please pray for additional partners. My budget was based upon making six to nine international teaching trips during 2016. As of the end of May, I will have made six. I’m thinking I might exceed the estimate. While I am thrilled for these opportunities, the financial cost of ministry increases with each trip. Please let me know if you know of people with whom I can share the vision of this ministry.
A Commitment to Good Communication – Your role as a partner in this ministry demands that I keep you regularly informed about what the Lord is doing so that you can better pray for and rejoice with us.
A Commitment to Good Stewardship – Your financial commitment is significant, both for you and for those to whom we are ministering. I promise to steward your resources well and to give myself wholeheartedly to the work of the gospel through Reaching & Teaching.
A Commitment to YOU – You can count on my commitment to you as a valued partner in the work of the gospel. I am eager to hear from you – your personal prayer requests – so that we can move forward together in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
(Include a note: “Preferenced to Dean Bertsch Ministry Support”)
To partner online:Go to reachingandteaching.org/give.
Select “Give Online.” Then select “Dean Bertsch” from the drop down menu.