The subject of Holy Spirit Baptism has been very divisive. Typically people are polarized into two camps:
- At the moment you become a Christian you receive the Spirit.
- “Baptism with the Spirit” happens at the point of conversion.
- There may be later “re-fillings” but all Christians have the Spirit
- Characteristic of non-Charismatic evangelicals and Third-wave Charismatics such as the Vineyard,
- “Baptism with the Spirit” is a second experience after conversion (sometimes called the doctrine of subsequence)
- There are two kinds of Christians, those who have been Baptized and those who have not.
- Some groups, such as traditional Pentecostals, would say you must speak in tongues to be baptized.
- Characteristic of Pentecostals and many Charismatics