It’s been awhile since I’ve given an update. Then again, the last update was long enough to make up for it. 🙂
Things have been busy since the trip to Brazil in early July:
SGBA Youth Camp
For the seventh year, I served as “Camp Pastor” at the SGBA Youth Camp, outside Lapeer, Michigan. It was a terrific week, as we focused upon learning and practicing spiritual disciplines. Please pray for these youth, especially that they continue to apply what they learned at camp.
Reaching & Teaching New Missionary Orientation
After the youth camp, Kathy and I attended the orientation for nine different families. While the sessions were extremely informative, the highlight was being able to spend time with and get to know these couples. In addition to those heading to South America (Argentina, Ecuador, Peru, and possibly Brazil), we have couples heading to East Asia, Southeast Asia, and the Middle East. I was truly humbled to be in the presence of these heroes of mine who are going to the nations.
Jason and Kami Wright Commissioning Service
This past weekend, we traveled to Abilene, Texas, for the commissioning service for our good friends Jason and Kami Wright. What a privilege it was to be there for this service. The Wrights have become good friends over the past two years. The service brought mixed emotions – excitement for them as they prepare to head to Argentina, and sadness for me as I’ll miss our regular interaction as well as the prospect of traveling together on teaching trips. Please add the Wrights (Jason, Kami, Kayden, Carley, and Brielle) to your prayer list.
Gotera, El Salvador
Saturday morning, I will return to Gotera, El Salvador, to teach our second module there. Randy Lowe and I will be teaching the module together.
As you may recall, our modules follow a Heart, Head, and Hands module. Randy will start each day, teaching on the spiritual discipline of prayer (Heart). He will end each day, focusing upon the pastor’s character (Hands). In between, I will be doing two separate sessions as we overview the New Testament (Head).
Here are some prayer requests for the trip. Please pray for
- Safe and uneventful travel. I fly out of Baltimore at 6:00 a.m. Saturday morning and connect through Miami to San Salvador, arriving around noon, local time (El Salvador is two hours behind Eastern Time). We then have a three-hour drive to Gotera.
- Preaching opportunities. In addition to teaching the module, I will have three opportunities (Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening) to preach in local churches in Gotera and surrounding villages.
- Teaching the module. Pray that the teaching is well received and beneficial to the ministries of those in attendance.
- The students. Many are not used to sitting in a classroom setting for so many hours each day. Pray that they stay focused and can benefit from the teaching they receive.
- My family. As always, please pray for my family. Kathy and Amanda will be at home. Kathy’s parents will be coming to visit (from Florida) for a couple weeks, arriving Tuesday. Josh has returned to Boyce College in Louisville, starting classes this week. Glenn continues to work for Generation Joshua, especially focused on preparing Student Action Teams for this fall’s election.
Thanks, Everyone. I appreciate your faithful partnership and support!
A Commitment to Good Communication – Your role as a partner in this ministry demands that I keep you regularly informed about what the Lord is doing so that you can better pray for and rejoice with us.
A Commitment to Good Stewardship – Your financial commitment is significant, both for you and for those to whom we are ministering. I promise to steward your resources well and to give myself wholeheartedly to the work of the gospel through Reaching & Teaching.
A Commitment to YOU – You can count on my commitment to you as a valued partner in the work of the gospel. I am eager to hear from you – your personal prayer requests – so that we can move forward together in the service of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
(Include a note: “Preferenced to Dean Bertsch Ministry Support”)
To partner online:Go to reachingandteaching.org/give.
Select “Give Online.” Then select “Dean Bertsch” from the drop down menu.