A Brief Book Notice from Books At a Glance
By Fred Zaspel
Okay, this side of the return of Christ, at least, no one will ever write a book on eschatology that will entirely please everyone else. There are some questions Scripture answers very clearly, and then there are other questions. In the main, the teaching is very plain; it’s the details that we find a bit puzzling at times. In his 40 Questions about the End Times, Eckhard Schnabel strikes an excellent balance tracking out the clear and exploring the less clear fairly.
Here are the questions and topics Schnabel addresses:
Part 1: General Questions about the Future
- The Future of the World
- When Do the End Times Begin?
- What is the Fullness of Time?
- What are the Signs of the End?
- When Will the Signs of the End Take Place?
- What Are the Seal, Trumpet, and Bowl Judgments (Rev. 6-16)?
- Should We Understands John’s Visions Literally or Symbolically?
- When will the Seal, Trumpet, and Bowl Judgments Take Place?
- The Future of the Church
- Will Christians Live During the Tribulation?
- Who Are the 144,000 in Revelation?
- Will the Church Disappear in a Rapture to Heaven?
- Will the Work of the Church Bring about a Period of Faith, Righteousness, Peace, and Prosperity on Earth?
- The Future of Israel
- What Are Israel’s Old Testament Promises?
- Does National Israel Have a Special Destiny?
- Does the Modem Stale of Israel Represent Fulfillment of Prophecy?
- What is Christian Zionism?
- Will a Third Temple Be Built in Jerusalem?
Part 2: The Retum of Jesus Christ
- Events Before the Return of Jesus
- What Is the “Abomination of Desolation” in Jesus’ Prophecy?
- Who Is the “Lawless One” in Paul’s Prophecy?
- Who is the Beast in John’s Prophecy?
- Who is the Antichrist?
- What is the Meaning of the Number 666?
- Who is the False Prophet?
- What is the Mark of the Beast?
- Who is the Great Harlot of Babylon?
- Who Are the Witnesses of Revelation 11?
- Who Are Gog and Magog in Ezekiel?
- Who Are Gog and Magog in Revelation?
- What is the Battle of Armageddon?
- What is the Great Earthquake?
- The Return of Jesus
- Why Will Jesus Return!
- How and Where Will Jesus Return?
- Will Jesus Return Soon?
Part 3: The Millennium and the Last Judgment
- The Millennium and the New Jerusalem
- What Is the Millennium?
- When Will the Millennium Take Place?
- What Is the New Jerusalem?
- The Day or Judgment
- When Will the Day of Judgment Take Place?
- What Will Happen to Believers on the Day of Judgment?
- What Will Happy to Unbelievers on the Day of Judgment?
Part 4: Interpreting the End Times
- How Should We View the Prophecies of Prophecy Writers?
- Why Should I Care about the End Times?
Despite the topically arranged “Questions” format, Schnabel’s approach is decidedly exegetical. He treats the major eschatological passages (Daniel, The Olivet Discourse, Thessalonians, Revelation, etc.), and his answers on every question are careful, close to the text, and well-informed, consistently addressing the heart of each question and focusing on the relevant biblical data.
An excellent resource – even if you may not agree at every point. And if you find yourself in disagreement, I predict Schnabel’s informed challenge will do you good … if not convert you!
Excellent resource. I will likely assign this to my students.
Note: Other books in this 40 Questions series (Benjamin Merkle, ed.) include the following:
40 Questions about Salvation, by Matthew Barrett
40 Questions about Creation and Evolution, by Kenneth Keathley and Mark Rooker
40 Questions about Elders and Deacons, by Benjamin Merkle
40 Questions about Interpreting the Bible, by Robert Plummer
40 Questions about the Historical Jesus, by C. Marvin Pate
40 Questions about Christians and Biblical Law, by Thomas Schreiner
40 Questions about Baptism and the Lord’s Supper, by John S. Hammett
Buy the books
40 Questions about the End Times